Sunday, October 28, 2007

Vaccines. Preventative maintanence

If I told you that I paid someone 100$ to stab me in the arm with a needle and fill my body with fatal diseases, you'd think either I was having a deathwish or I was trying to impress a girl. But thats exactly what I did today.

I need to get my vaccines for my Thailand trip and I figured lets get them done early since I'm not innoculated against them yet. And vaccines are NOT cheap. The Vivaxim booster shot (the vaccine against Typhoid and Hepatitis A) came in at $105 and the cholera tablets are another 110$. Luckily the booster will last nearly 10 years, so come 2017, I'll have to get another shot. I still need to verify I have the Hep B vaccine active.
Of course this cost is a mere pittance compared to the costs of not taking them and catching any of those diseases.

So all of these drugs should leave me covered for the common illnesses from this region. I'm sure going to only the most touristy areas should also minimize exposure to the illnesses, along with avoiding certain...indiscretions... which is the other main way one gets a number of these illnesses.

No comments: