Saturday, October 20, 2007

The Lurrv Boat

I was about to begin singing the lyrics to The Love Boat, but alas my taste hasn't gone THAT downhill. The reason for my nostalgic singing is I went to a masquerade party on board a cruise boat which was being hosted by the Nepean University Medical Society (or something like that). So yes, a cruise filled with young doctors and yes gentlemen, they all look better than the cast of Grey's anatomy (except Katherine Heigl..sigh )

I can tell you now that it was fortunate that for a masquerade ball, masks weren't required all night. Whilst I'm quite capable of seeing people and large objects, its the subtle things like, I dunno, STAIRS or ledges of any kind which cause me grief. On the walk down to boat, I had to hold Cherryl's hand to prevent myself from making an ass of myself. Once onboard, I could just take it off.

Two things made the night fantastic. One was, I've come to the realization that I really don't give a toss anymore about trying to pick up, which meant I took a risk and actually talked to randoms. Secondly everyone on the boat had a one to two degree of separation from their friends so you could be 'pre-approved' to be onboard. This combination meant I met many new people, guys and girls and had an absolute ball. The girls I met were the type I would have been interested in. Smart, funny and pretty without being slutty. Normally I'm so lame that I fall for any new girl who is nice to me, but this effect was diluted because EVERY girl was really friendly. They'd talk with you, they'd dance with you and you never get the impression you're a retard.

At the end of the night, I was tempted to go onto the after party at Pontoon, but my friends had a separate party planned at a friends house. So several good-bye pecks on the cheek to my new acquaintances later (!!!), I went (via a circuitous route to Artarmon to pick up my car) to North Strathfield.

And so my friends and I stayed up together, discussing life, love, careers, personal insight, moral decisions and all sorts of other things into the weee hours of the morning. And this is what you come to realize. New people give you a rush of happiness, of excitement. However it is your old friends are the ones who'll really make you content and safe. When given the choice between finishing the night with hot randoms and finishing with old friends, you can't go wrong with friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seems like there should be a lesson in this - women go into medicine, the nerds go into computers... so you should be doing biomedical engineering...

Did you see the paper on the weekend - apparently there's a man-drought in Mosman?