Saturday, April 07, 2007

Synergy for Dual Monitors/Dual PCs

You know what is cool? Synergy!

No not the team/department/company relationship crap that has been flouted by marketers and execs for more years than it deserves. I'm talking about the application Synergy (http://synergy2.sourceforge.net). For a while now I've been running a windows and Ubuntu setup at home where I have both machines and operating systems running side by side.
Unfortunately they were also in all practicality in isolation. There was no way to copy paste things between the screens, no way to even move the keyboard or cursor. I've been doing the two level keyboard and mouse combo.

I've heard of using an application called Multiplicity by Stardock for such problems, but alas its only for Windows and also costs $30*. So I was stuck with a pretty lame deal.

No longer! Synergy runs a TCP connection between the two systems and it seamlessly allows control between the two systems to proceed. Its so beautiful I could cry.
If you run a dual monitor/dual box setup, you GOT to use this. Its easy to setup, its fast and offers all the features you want and most importantly.....its free!


* That said, Stardock is a pretty cool company so I'd check out some of their other products. The only reason I endorse them is because they had the BALLS to release Galactic Civilizations, one of the finest space 4X games I've played, with no cd-keys and no copy protection or any of the other rubbish that companies make us do these days. Any company that puts the consumer first should be exalted!

1 comment:

Foobear said...

this thing is so cool I'm flipping out. The possibilities are truly awesome. I can sit on one laptop and control another laptop which is hooked up to my TV. I could control my laptop with my PC as I'm watching movies. The awesome is mind-boggling.

It's like the reverse of rdesktop, but it can somehow achieve the same ends, which is truly awesome.