Sunday, April 29, 2007

Why is my Documents hijacked?

Remember that scene in Red Alert 1 where Albert Einstein goes back in time to kill Hitler? Remember how satisfied he must have felt to prevent untold suffering in the future. Its the same feeling I'd have if I could go back in time to kill the guy who started the trend to put application specific files in My Documents. (Lets ignore the fact that in C&C:RA1 that Albert's actions led to the soviets invading..).

My 'My Documents' had 3 folders which I created and maintained, and 15 that were created by other applications. I have Work, Home, Archives. Other applications have made C&C3, My Shapes, Visual Studio 2005, Battlefield 2...the list goes on. My Documents are files which are meant for viewing and editing by user. Often these applications are putting things there which are neither. It is usually save games, configuration files and templates, all of which are edited VIA THE application, not directly by the user.

Unless the files are meant for regular edits by the user, I don't see why the application developers can't do any of the following over putting its junk in my space.

1) Put all user specific files in the "home" directory, i.e. C:/Documents & Settings/, rather than //My Documents.
2) Make it an option either at startup or reconfigurable as to where to put the specific files and hence the application will move these files around.
3) In combination with the above, maybe developers can agree to a standard way of storing. For instead of your typical egotistical Adobe/photoshop/saves directory, maybe they can do /graphics/adobe.photoshop/saves. They can even use shortcuts if they think that'll help, for example /image-viewing/adobe.photoshop symlinks back to the above graphics folder.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of having user specific data in the user space rather than the application space, but there are better ways to do it then blindly clutter "My Documents". Let me reclaim my space!

No comments: