Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Beware the IDEs of March!

My next upcoming project is an C++ project. Yes whilst this does fill me with horror, its also a nice chance to learn something new.

The first task is the most tedious in some ways, which is to find the best IDE for it. I'm not a purist (and I'm keen on getting some work done) so I'll be avoiding text editors wherever I can. A part of using an IDE is learning how to use it, and a part is fighting the IDE when it wants to do one thing, and you want it to do another. But even after taking away the time that absorbs, I suspect the amount of time saved using an IDE far outweighs using simply an text editor.

So far I have two candidates for the job. In the left corner is Microsoft Visual Studio and in the right corner is Eclipse with the C++ Development Tools.

After a week or so of playing around with it, I must say for pure coding, Visual C++ falls really short of the conveniences of Eclipse. Theres not even a call hierarchy until you get to VS.Net 2005. Theres no quick way to get to a particular file, like Eclipse's Cntl-Shift-R/T. However, it does allow for building relatively easily, debugging is far less painful then in Eclipse and its also the only development environment thats got built in support for MFC (funny that..).

This combination of things is enough to convince me to stay with Visual Studio. Even if it is going to make me dumber :).
Heck its a lot better than vi/gvim!

P.S. For those who didn't get the reference of this title and went 'but its January -> Click here.
P.S.S. xoxoxoxo
P.S.S.S. I can't help myself when I get a P.S. The hugs and kisses must go on.

No comments: