Sunday, June 03, 2007

Samurai Pizza Kats (minus the Pizza)

A bunch of firsts on this weekend. I took a trip to Balmain to have a birthday dinner with my friends from work. Our place of culinary conquest was the Samurai Japanese Cafe, a tiny little restaurant right opposite the Cat'n'Fiddle hotel.
I was stoked by how great the place was. It was a proper restaurant experience but with a ridiculous amount of food. In fact it was slightly too much. I had the Dinner box deluxe, which was effectively 5 courses of food. It was so much that even an hour after we left, it was still sitting in my stomach! In addition the service was great and when Jen mentioned to the waiter that it was Sunny and mine's birthday, they even got us dessert and individual special gifts!! I love gifts so they instantly went into my best restaurants EVAR (sic) category.

I actually did something I rarely do the following day, which is to login to the webpage that recommended the restaurant (eatability.com) and posted a review. If you ever used someone on a site's recommendation to make a choice, it makes sense to repay the favour and add your own recommendation. After all you're helping someone else in making a decision.

Our next stop was the Cat'n'Fiddle hotel where Katherine's band Kinetic was playing. The Cat isn't a bad place, but I wish SOMEONE would enforce the no-smoking policy. As I may have ranted before, smokers need to have their cigarettes blow up in their faces. But anyhoo.
Kat's band was pretty decent, though it didn't exactly blow me away. They were definitely a lot better then the band before and after them at least. Kat looked and (mostly) sounded amazing, but she clearly got tired halfway through the performance as she sounded like she was on helium for one of the songs. The funny part was she was wearing these arm warmers which were clearly for the entire sex appeal/fashion thing, yet I was going, man thats such an awesome idea! Now I can wear short sleeves and not be cold, where can get me some of that! I suspect it would look a bit gay on guys however so alas.

All in all, a good night.

No comments: