Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Receptionist Followup

So someone suggested doing a follow-up article to The Receptionist which I posted several months back, and I went, that's a great idea!

This is mainly because things have changed so much in that time. So for everyone who didn't catch the first part of the story, read the above link. This article is partly self-reflection, but its also to clear up a few misconceptions people have.

In order to keep things anonymous and so I don't need to keep typing The Receptionist lets name our receptionist Rachel.
Now despite my utter fear during the time of the first article, I managed the day after that article, to say hello and introduce myself, thus starting a long and odd friendship.

Rachel is a lovely girl, very bubbly, easy to get along with and surprisingly easy to hold a conversation with for someone who has no knowledge/interest in IT. She's attractive, but she doesn't flaunt it which is a huge plus point. (Okay that said, she could be flaunting and I might be just ignorant of it). Shes actually quite young at 20, so really a baby compared to the age of most of the people at our work. Shes got a boyfriend whose moved in with her. Hes a nice bloke, but my opinion of him took a massive nose dive when I realised he was a smoker and a real estate agent. (Bad experiences have made me realize Real estate agents are the scum of the universe.)

Shes on the way to the coke machine so I often get to talk to her. Its a silently (or in Mr R's case, not silently) accepted fact that the coke run is really a 'Chat with Kylie' run. I don't think anyone minds.

Contrary to popular opinion, I'm not really that attracted to her in that way. I like to make other people think I do, and sometimes I even try and convince myself I do like her in that way. But she simply just doesn't measure up to my ex, who despite her severe parental issues is still the most awesome girl in the world for me. That said, I really enjoy hanging around Rachel regularly because shes just got that awesome friendly vibe. She doesn't expect you to be witty, or intelligent, you can just be yourself. There is also something else... I think Sam de Brito's article's article on how to avoid a Princess said it best when he said

"Deep down, I think men are actually quite flattered when a princess chooses them because ... doesn't that make you a prince?"

So being friends with a Princess doesn't make you a prince, but hell at least you're a courtier or someone the Princess hangs with. Outside of the normal commoners. Shes also the only chick besides Katherine who I can talk non-work related issues with, so that's a big bonus. Shock! I do actually like talking femme things on occasion, as terribly gay as that sounds.

Rachel is a slight pain in the ass to get a lunch date with however, and I'm not entirely sure why. She often says for example, lets do Thursday and then shes like fully busy on that day. This could well be because shes busy, as shes often the only one holding down the fort. I'm also likely to believe its because she doesn't want to lead me on and give off the wrong signals. Which is admirable, because one should always be faithful to their partner. But its also hard to tell a chick that you're not interested in them without them bringing it up, since its effectively saying that you ARE interested in them, which leads me to quite a quandary.

Why do I keep asking if I keep getting turned down? Well a) shes not saying no, and b) well I'm annoyingly persistent. You know the saying about a dog with a bone...

1 comment:

Foobear said...

How does one not have a gay conversation with a girl?

--- Gay conversation example:

Guy A: Do you like the veronicas?

Girl G: Do I!?

--- Perfectly straight conversation:

Guy B: Do you like death metal?

Girl G: Do I!?

Guy B: Wanna root?

---

I'll be honest, I've never even had to ask the second question...